Lilypie Tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

To Molly on Your Second Birthday...

Dear Molly,
I can hardly believe that 2 years have passed since the first moment I saw your sweet face. It seems to have passed in the blink of an eye, and yet it feels like you've always been a part of our lives. I have spent a lot of time this past week thinking back to that long, hot summer 2 years ago. In the days and weeks leading up to your birth, I spent a lot of time day-dreaming about who you would be, what you would look like, what it would be like to be a mother. I wondered what color your eyes would be and what your voice would sound like when it called me "Mama". In preparation for your birth, I took lots of long walks through our neighborhood, many at sunrise and sunset to avoid the heat of the day. As I walked I would lay my hands on my blossoming belly and pray, asking God to take good care of you as you were growing, praying that He would give you a healthy body, a strong mind, and a heart for Christ.

But all my prayers and daydreams could not have prepared me for the moment I laid eyes on your sweet face. After 41+ weeks of pregnancy and 10+ hours of labor, the wait was over and the little girl the midwife laid on my chest was the most gorgeous sight I'd ever seen. I was so overwhelmed, I just kept saying, "Hello Molly! I love you!" over and over again as I kissed your little fingers and snuggled you to my cheek. Words can not describe the love that welled up inside me the moment your eyes met mine, these gorgeous blue eyes that just seemed to say, "Hello Mama. I'm here and I love you too."

It has been an amazing journey over the last 2 years to watch you develop from a tiny, helpless, needy infant to the spunky, stubborn, vivacious little girl you are today. As each stage has come and gone, from sitting up to crawling to taking your first steps, from crying to signing to using your first words, I have slowly had to learn to let go. You are becoming your own little independent person, eager to take on the challenges this world has to offer. Right now you are all about "doing it yourself". Whether it's putting on your shoes or getting dressed, eating a meal or turning a doorknob, your motto is, "I'll do it myself or it won't get done at all." I love your determination and tenacity. It actually inspires me in my approach to life's tasks.

You also approach life with such flair. The joy on your face every single day reminds me to take on life with a smile. Every song is occasion for a dance. You love to "rock out" with Daddy when he plays his music. You flop your hair around and play your "air guitar". The tiniest tickle sends you into a fit of giggles. Even waking up from a nap is cause for celebration. I love to hear you in your crib, babbling, squealing, and "jumping for joy".
I can't imagine my life without you and I'm thankful everyday that God has made you a part of our family. You have taught me more about joy, patience, faith, and love in the last 2 years than I learned in the 2 decades before that. You made me a mother and for that I am forever grateful. I can't wait to see what our third year together will bring.

I love you from here to the moon and back, my little MoJo. Happy Birthday.

Love, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment