Lilypie Tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Practicing Prepositions

Molly's been very interested in prepositions lately and reporting where things are around the house.  Sometimes I like to play a little game with her where we pick one object and describe it with as many prepositions as we can.  For example, "The rocking chair is beside the crib...in front of the toy shelf...behind the ottoman...on top of the floor...underneath Mommy...next to Ian" and so on.  She has gotten quite good at identifying locations of objects, but for some reason she hasn't quite made the connection that prepositions also apply to her!  After we go through our whole descriptive list, I'll ask her, "Where's Molly?".  Her response will invariably be, "I'm RIGHT HERE!!!" pointing to her feet and with her very best what-kind-of-silly-question-is-that-Mommy tone of voice.  It cracks me up every time!

Her other favorite preposition game, and one that I'm not so fond of, but cracks me up just the same, is describing exactly where she is when she passes gas.  I'm not sure how it started, but anytime she toots, she announces "I gas on highchair" or "I gas in lil-li-loon (livingroom)" or "I gas next to coffee table."  We're still working on the "Excuse me" skills, but, hey, we're nailing those prepositions.  I guess in her case, instead of remembering the rule 'anywhere a mouse can go', we'll just stick with 'anywhere a gas can go.'  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment